Pages

Tuesday 3 October 2017

Victory is ours

It was a freezing night as I stretched in hall waiting patiently as two men set up the Volleyball net.  My palms start to sweat as many thoughts flow inside my head. As I was stretching I thought of what Mr De Toit said to me at dinner.
He said, “Are you gonna take one for the team and maybe make your knee even worse or not play and support on the sideline.” There was a minute left on the clock and I finally made my decision to play. I joined the circle and girls jump up and down with a smile on their face as Mr Hendricks gives us a pep talk. A minute later and the buzzer went off it was time to start the game.

Maeroa Intermediate was ready and so was our girls. Maeroa serves a weak serve and we received it and played it three times. They came back with a powerful spike into a open gap and win the point. Our heads drop as we cover our face with our sweaty hands.
Mr Hendrick’s and Mrs Ramkolowan on the side lines screeching out, “Heads Up girls and receive the ball.”
The next serve was powerful but we managed to win the point. The game went on to fifteen points. As time flew by the score was 14 Maeroa and 13 Glen Innes. I began to feel butterflies in my stomach and my hands start to sweat. I get into a steady position as they get ready to serve. Maeroa finally serves the ball. I receive it with a dig but the ball flies out. My head drop as Madero's supporters rubb the first win in our face.

Mr Hendricks on the sideline Scratching out, “Heads up girls that was only one set win the next.”
Our girls a ready to receive the serve. We come back with a powerful spike that no one could receive. We win the first point. As the game went on 14 for Glen Innes and 14 for Maeroa. It was a tie. Maeroa serves the ball. We spike the ball over the net but Maeroa receives it. I tried to volley it over but it rolls back behind me. Maeroa celebrates the win every one jumping up and down with their hand in the air. The ref blows the whistle but noone can hear him over the loud screams.

He blows it again and howls, “That was not a win, in order to win you have to win by two more points.”
That was our chance. We start the game and win the first point just one more to go. We win the next point. Everyone celebrates besides Maeroa. It was the next set. We swap sides with Maeroa. We get in our positions. Maeroa was already ready and they had their game face on. We serve the ball and win the first point.
Our supporters on the side screeching, “Let's go G.O, let's go” over and over.
As time flies by Glen Innes with a score of 12 and Maeroa with a score a of 9. It was my turn to serve. I could feel butterflies in my stomach as my hands start to sweat. I had so many thoughts flowing inside of my head. My knee starts to ache as I limp behind the line. I serve the ball and win us a point. I serve again but this time is more powerful. I win the next point again. Last point and we won the finals. I could feel my knee getting worse and worse but I try and hide the pain because I didn’t want to come off. Mr. De Toit on sideline cheering me on.

I serve the ball with all my power. Maeroa reserves it but the ball flies out. Everyone start jumping in the air. Hands in the air screaming and crying.
“HURRAY” everyone screeched out loud.

We win the trophy again. We all leave the hall for supper with a smile everyone patting our backs and congratulating us. “What a night, we just made the best memory ever” I said to my team mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment