Pages

Thursday 19 October 2017

Rangoli art

Walht: understand celebrations around the world.
collage.jpg

Diwali is the biggest Hindu celebration. It is also known as the festival of lights. It’s a five day celebration and it started on the 18th and ends on the 22th of October. This Hindu celebration is celebrated all around the world. I know this because our class has been studying about it for a couple of days.

Hindus all over the world celebrate diwali but most people celebrate by using coloured powder or broken rice to design a rangoli pattern in front of their door to welcome people into their house. They also celebrate by cleaning their house to welcome the gods, lighting fireworks, decorating their house with lights and candles, giving away gifts, making sweets and ect.

For Diwali week our class celebrated by drawing rangoli patterns in front of our class door using chalk. We got into a group of two but some others choose to work solo. The image above is my partner’s and I rangoli. We worked together to get a great a rangoli pattern. My favourite rangoli pattern was Janet’s one. Her rangoli was one of the best in my opinion.

Learning about this made me more aware about other celebrations. Diwali is a bit similar to Christmas because we give away gifts, we have dinner together and sometimes light up fireworks. I really had fun doing this and I hope to do this again but for a different celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment