Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Trip back to Tokelau

It was a good morning as the sun just woke from it’s deep slumber. I was disturbed from the sound of splashes as the boat punch through them. As I rub my eyes I see the beautiful island of Tokelau and noticed the seawalls but that didn’t bother me. I was still thrilled to be back in my homeland. I see my family as the boat gets closer to the island. The feeling of joy hits me. I quickly pack my things and wait for the boat to park. Not going to lie as I sat down waiting for the boat to park I wondered if there was any change since I left oversea for my education. I wondered if Tokelau was still the same.

 As I was thinking a lady enters the room and kindly asks us to exit the boat. My heart is beating out of my chest. I stand up and exit the boat and see my family with the biggest smile on their faces. I dashed towards them and give them the biggest hug ever. After all the hugging and crying It was finally time to go home.

 I jumped on the back of the truck as my dad starts the engine. As we were heading home I noticed a few new changes. Like the fact that people have tv's, computers, fridges, global warming, shops are now selling food that are imported, they are now using solar power and most important there is electricity. Everything was becoming modern. I didn’t have problem with things changing but what I did have problem with was that everything might change and people might start to forget the Tokelauan traditions. It was a bit of a worry to me, but I told myself that I need to focus more on my family and education.

 As the days go by I was finally getting use to the changes that were made. Not going to lie at first I found it hard accepting and getting use the changes, but I figured that I was going to accept it or get use to it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment